MANILA, Philippines — The first impeachment criticism towards Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, filed by lawyer Larry Gadon, was declared sufficient in form and in substance by the House of Representatives’ committee on justice regardless of objections that it was faulty and didn’t current clear proof of being impeachable offenses.
The separate votes Wednesday morning, September 13, on the Gadon criticism’s form and substance yielded the identical outcomes, 30-Four.
The committee remains to be debating the criticism filed by the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption.
Gadon’s criticism accuses Sereno of betrayal of public belief, culpable violation of the Constitution, corruption and different excessive crimes.
Lawmakers who mentioned the criticism was faulty — Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman, Dinagat Island Rep. Kaka Bag-ao, Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate and Akbayan Rep. Tom Villarin — mentioned Gadon didn’t have private data on some of the allegations he put ahead. They additionally mentioned there was no clear proof on how the acts cited in the criticism might represent impeachable offenses.
But Oriental Mindoro Rep. Reynaldo Umali, the chairperson of the House justice committee that carried out the listening to, insisted Gadon “did his homework” and obtained genuine data and licensed true copies of the data from the Supreme Court.
The Gadon criticism alleges the next:
Acts constituting culpable violation of Constitution:
- She falsified the Resolution of the Supreme Court in A.M. No. 12-11-9-SC.
- She falsified the Temporary Restraining Order of the Supreme Court in G.R. Nos. 206844-45.
- She falsified the Resolution of the Supreme Court in A.M. No. 16-08-04-SC.
- She delayed motion on the quite a few Petitions for Retirement Benefits of Justices and Judges, and the surviving spouses of deceased Justices and Judges.
- She manipulated and thereafter delayed the decision of A.M. No. 17-06-02-SC (the request of the Secretary of Justice to switch the Maute circumstances outdoors of Mindanao) after realizing that she misplaced in the voting.
- She did not in truth disclose her Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth or SALN.
- She manipulated the shortlist of the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) to exclude then Solicitor General Francis H. Jardeleza, for private and political causes, thereby disgracing then Sol. Gen. Jardeleza, and curbing the President’s energy to nominate him.
- She manipulated the shortlist of the JBC for the six (6) vacancies in the Sandiganbayan, for private and political causes, thereby limiting the President’s energy to nominate the Justices of the Sandiganbayan.
- She manipulated the shortlist of the JBC for the 2 (2) vacancies in the Supreme Court, and did not heed the pronouncements of the Court in Aguinaldo v. Aquino, thereby impairing and curbing the President’s energy to nominate the Justices of the Supreme Court.
- She lied and made it seem that “several justices” requested that they put off voting for recommendees to the Supreme Court, when in reality not one Justice requested for it.
- She manipulated the JBC, particularly its 4 (Four) common members, successfully destroying the JBC as a constitutional physique mandated to pretty and impartially display screen and nominate candidates to the Judiciary.
Acts constituting corruption:
- She used public funds to finance her extravagant and lavish life-style by ordering the acquisition of a brand-new luxurious Toyota Land Cruiser 2017 mannequin as her private car, amounting to greater than Five Million Pesos.
- She used public funds to remain in opulent motels when attending conferences in the Philippines and overseas, and flying on enterprise or first-class collectively along with her employees and safety.
- She used public funds to flaunt her extravagance by unnecessarily bringing an enormous entourage of attorneys in her supposed official international journeys.
Acts constituting different excessive crimes:
- She obstructed justice by ordering the Muntinlupa Judges to not concern warrants of arrest towards Senator Leila M. De Lima.
- She perverted justice by assembly the Presiding Justice and Associate Justices of the Court of Appeals and instructing them to not adjust to the processes of the House of Representatives and to instantly query its processes earlier than the Supreme Court.
- She did not report her extortionate legal professional’s charges and pay the suitable taxes therefor.
- She embellished her Personal Data Sheet (PDS) in her software for the Judiciary to overstate her credentials.
Acts constituting betrayal of public belief:
- She employed an Information Technology advisor with an extreme compensation with out public bidding, in contravention of present legal guidelines, Commission on Audit (COA) guidelines, and public coverage.
- She despatched a strongly-worded however misplaced reply to President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on the Judges linked to medication thereby inviting a head-on collision between the Presidency and the Judiciary.
- She prevented the Justices of the Court of Appeals to do a courtesy name on President Rodrigo Roa Duterte.
- She attacked the imposition of Martial Law in a graduation handle, whereas the validity of Martial Law was nonetheless pending earlier than the Supreme Court, and later continued to take part in the Court’s deliberations.
- She issued a Joint Statement with the Presiding Justice of the Court of Appeals relating to CA-GR SP No. 151029, which may very effectively be elevated to the Supreme Court.
- She practiced favoritism by permitting key positions in the Supreme Court to stay unfilled for a protracted interval of time in order to attend for her employees to qualify, to the detriment of the service and nice demoralization of certified Court staff.
- She appointed a key official with out authority or approval of the Court en banc, in violation of Court-established guidelines and the Constitution.
- She gave her newly-hired employees international travels and granted them journey allowances for his or her international travels with out authority or approval of the Court en banc, in violation of Court-established guidelines and the Constitution.
- She usurped the mandate of the Court en banc by arrogating to herself alone the working of the Supreme Court and the Judiciary, thereby destroying the Supreme Court as a collegial physique.